A lot of families like to go camping over the summer, and summer camps are a highlight for many children. But how much do you know about the sky you’re sleeping under?
Here are 5 things you may not know about the universe:
- The largest galaxies may be more than 6 million light-years across
- Galaxies contain both visible and invisible matter.
- Our galaxy contains at least 100 billion stars
- Most galaxies continue to move away from each other.
- If we squeezed all of the events in the 14-billion-year history of the universe into 1 year, human history would account for only 21 seconds.
Are you looking for more cosmic knowledge? Further travel our sun, planets, and other objects in the solar system in Explore Our Solar System!
This highly illustrated, 10-volume series explores the origin of the universe and tours stars, galaxies, and other fascinating celestial objects beyond the solar system. Volumes in Explore the Universe discuss the structure and composition of the universe; physical characteristics of black holes and other celestial objects; theories about the origin of the universe; and tools and techniques for studying celestial objects.