We all know about the political accomplishments of the Founding Fathers of the United States, but their life outside of politics is not as widely known. Here are five interesting facts about our first president that you probably didn’t know:
1. As a kid, Washington mastered the subject of math, which led to his first job as a land surveyor.
2. Growing up, Washington kept numerous copybooks with entries such as “Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation.”
3. Washington once wrote a verse called “True Happiness” stating happiness comes from, among other things, “Round a warm fire, a pleasant joke…”
4. Washington was reportedly 6 feet 3.5 inches tall and weighed close to 200 pounds by age 20, and he was known to move gracefully.
5. Washington made a salary of $25,000 a year as President. That’s approximately $650,000 in today’s dollars!
Learn more about George Washington in America's Presidents! two–volume set
examines the United States presidency
and its historical importance in rich
detail. Get answers to presidential
questions as you take a fascinating
look at the highest elected office in the
government of the United States.
The first volume in this book about U.S. presidents - The President’s World - showcases the duties, privileges, and broad power of the president. It goes in-depth into the typical, daily life of a United States president.
The second volume in the presidents book set - Portraits of the Presidents - examines the people who have led the country through times of poverty and prosperity, peace, and war. It includes full biographical information about every U.S. president as well as information and photos of every first lady.
Learn More | Buy Now